Why you shouldn’t light scented candles at home

candles

Why you shouldn’t light scented candles at home

Especially in autumn and winter, many people like to light scented candles at home to make themselves comfortable. In recent years, scented candles have become the ultimate symbol of relaxation, a fragrant element of wellness after a long day at work or during a bubble bath . However, there is also a second side to the scented candle medal.

Harmful substances in scented candles
The big problem are paraffin-based candles. Paraffin is made from petroleum. A US study found that burning such candles releases dangerous substances such as alkanes, alkenes, ketones, toluene or benzene. These substances can trigger allergies, cause eczema, and even promote asthma and lung cancer. Inhaled fumes from synthetic fragrances can also trigger migraines. Many commercially available scented candles that are not otherwise marked contain these substances.

Ventilate well to prevent
The released substances are particularly harmful if used regularly. It is important to ventilate regularly and well. Paraffin candles should be avoided, especially in small rooms without a fresh air supply.

Alternatives to harmful fragrance alternatives
However, according to the study by South Carolina State University, candles based on soy and beeswax are not harmful. Good alternatives are also organic essential oils, which spread a fragrant atmosphere in fragrance lamps and are harmless. Fir branches or oranges studded with cloves are also natural scents in winter.

READ MORE:  Why is the end of a relationship as important as start?

Share this post


READ MORE:  Why is the end of a relationship as important as start?